It’s that time in your life where every single step you take leaves an impact on your baby, it is an old saying “You are what you eat” and so we want you to avoid unwanted foods and get that healthy pregnancy glow!
5 foods you must avoid to help your baby stay safe and healthy in your tummy:
- Raw Meat: A big NO with anything raw, uncooked meat or raw meat should be avoided as it could be contaminated with coliform bacteria, toxoplasmosis, and salmonella.You wouldn’t want to risk your baby with any of these.
- Smoked Seafood: Whiel certain seafoods are good for you, refrigerated, smoked seafood often labeled as lox, nova style, kippered, or jerky should be avoided because it could be contaminated with listeria. (These are safe to eat when they are in an ingredient in a meal that has been cooked, like a casserole.)
- Raw Eggs: Raw eggs or any foods that contain raw eggs should be avoided because of the potential exposure to salmonella. Some homemade Caesar dressings, mayonnaise, homemade ice cream or custards, and Hollandaise sauces may be made with raw eggs. If the recipe is cooked at some point, this will reduce the exposure to salmonella. Commercially manufactured ice cream, dressings, and eggnog is made with pasteurized eggs and do not increase the risk of salmonella.
- Soft Cheeses: Imported soft cheeses may contain listeria. You would need to avoid soft cheeses such as brie, Camembert, Roquefort, feta, Gorgonzola, and Mexican style cheeses that include queso blanco and queso fresco, unless they clearly state that they are made from pasteurized milk. All soft non-imported cheeses made with pasteurized milk are safe to eat.
- Alcohol: Well your party days are over now, time to get healthy and detox. Though many studies said that red wine is good for you, Prenatal exposure to alcohol can interfere with the healthy development of the baby. Depending on the amount, timing, and pattern of use, alcohol consumption during pregnancy can lead to Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or other developmental disorders.
So we hope you are taking all your vitamins, eating healthy and we wish your baby and you a very healthy pregnancy, choose your food and make choices wisely.